A warm welcome to the official website of the Amateur Jockeys Association of Great Britain.
Our mission statement: The AJA aims to protect and promote the interests of all its members, both male and female, in an increasingly professional world.
Information on how to join the Association (AJA membership automatically includes insurance for riding out and handling racehorses worldwide), a list of forthcoming amateur races and much more appears on these pages.
Amateur race riding has been in existence for as long as racing itself and has never been as popular as it is today. In 1995 the Lady Jockeys Association and the Amateur Riders Association amalgamated to form the Amateur Jockeys Association of Great Britain Limited (AJA).
The AJA sets out to:
- improve the standard and safety of all amateur riders;
- encourage amateur races under all codes through close liaison with the racing industry to secure its future;
- offer help, advice and support to all amateur jockeys throughout their amateur careers;
- source sponsors and sponsor amateur races;
- act on behalf of its members by providing recommendations to the various regulatory and administrative racing bodies for the betterment of amateur racing;
- select and finance amateur jockeys to ride abroad;
- play an important part through close liaison with the British Horseracing Authority in the formation of the policy of the British Racing Industry.