About the AJA
This is the official website of the Amateur Jockeys Association. Information on how to join the Association (membership includes insurance for riding out and handling racehorses worldwide), a list of amateur races and much more appears on these pages.
Our RIDERS DIRECTORY allows you to advertise yourself and give a brief biography and details of your career, riding weight, etc and even include your photograph. Simply e-mail email@example.com or post your details to the AJA for inclusion.
There is a ‘contact’ section to encourage you to tell us what you want from your Association.
Amateur race riding has been in existence for as long as racing itself and has never been as popular as it is today. In 1995 the Lady Jockeys Association and the Amateur Riders Association amalgamated to form the Amateur Jockeys Association of Great Britain Limited (AJA). The AJA has about 300 members and aims to protect and promote the interests of all its members, both male and female, in an increasingly professional world.
The AJA aims to:
- improve the standard and safety of all amateur riders;
- encourage amateur races under both codes through close liaison with the racing industry to secure its future;
- offer help, advice and support to all amateur jockeys throughout their careers;
- find sponsors for and sponsor amateur races;
- act on behalf of its members by providing recommendations to the various regulatory and administrative racing bodies for the betterment of amateur racing;
- select and finance amateur jockeys to ride abroad;
- play an important part through close liaison with the British Horseracing Authority in the formation of the policy of the British Racing Industry.