BHA WHIP REVIEW – A MUST READ!!!!
THE BHA REVIEW ON USE OF THE WHIP COMES INTO EFFECT ON MONDAY NEXT 10TH OCTOBER!
- 5 hits in the final furlong/after the last obstacle are the maximum number of hits that are acceptable.
- 7 hits (flat) 8 hits (jump) in the whole race are the maximum number of hits that are acceptable.
- Excessive frequency – minimum suspension of 5 days for 1 hit over the permitted maximum and a further 2 days for every hit thereafter.
- Penalties for other breaches of Schedule (B)6 part 2 have been increased.
- Repeat offences will result in at least a doubling of the suspension.
- Group 1 and Grade 1 exemptions will not apply to whip offences.
- Every time a rider’s whip makes contact with his horse with his whip hand off the reins will be considered as a hit regardless of how, where or with what force the whip is used.
- Any offence which warrants a suspension of more than 20 days before previous offences are taken into account will be referred.
- Any offence which warrants a suspension of 42 days having taken previous offences into account will be referred.
- Penalties imposed by the Disciplinary Panel have been increased considerably.
The full BHA review of the use of the whip can be viewed by this link: http://www.britishhorseracing.com/whip-review/WhipReview.pdf