REVISED WHIP RULES START TOMORROW 6TH MARCH
Recommended reading for ALL jockeys!!
The revised whip rule guidelines come into effect on Tuesday 6th March, giving Stewards exactly a week before the start of Cheltenham Festival to practice the use of discretion rather than give an automatic ban to jockeys in breach.
The Stewards should consider holding an enquiry if a rider has:
- used his/her whip 8 times or more in a Flat race or 9 times or more in a Jump race;
- mis-used his/her whip taking into consideration the guidelines on pages 28 and 29 (see below).
When deciding whether or not to hold an enquiry, Stewards should consider how the rider has used the whip during the course of the entire race, with particular attention to its use in the closing stages and relevant factors such as:
- The manner in which the whip was used, including degree of force;
- The purpose for which the whip was used;
- The distance over which the whip was used and whether the number of times it was used was reasonable and necessary;
- Whether the horse was continuing to respond.
Full details can be found here: extracts-from-guide-to-penalties-and-procedures.pdf