Simon Walker and Serena Brotherton, All-Weather Champion and Runner up 2011/12, photographed at Wolverhampton 30th March 2012
Those familiar names SIMON WALKER and SERENA BROTHERTON head the Flat Amateur Championships tables again for 2012, having ended the All-Weather 2011/12 season in the Spring with Simon as Champion and Serena runner-up. Simon Walker achieved his Gentleman Flat Amateur Jockey Champion title with a total of 5 wins and his nearest rival in the runner-up position was Freddie Mitchell with 3 wins. This is the 8th time that Simon has taken the championship, having won it originally in 2003.
Serena Brotherton achieved her Lady Flat Amateur Jockey Champion title with a total of 6 wins, 2 ahead of her nearest rival Jacqueline Coward on 4 wins. This is Serena’s 6th Championship on the Flat, and her 4th consecutively.
Many congratulations to both of our Champions and to all amateur jockeys who rode winners this season. (The final tables can be found by clicking on the left column link.)
Applications are invited from AJA members who are UK licensed amateur jockeys to represent Great Britain abroad in 2013.
A: If applying for the Fegentri individual championship representation, you will need:
- an understanding boss – regular weekends away will be planned
- strong home support – your life will be hectic
- stamina – travel, time zones and flight delays sap energy
- to abandon thoughts of turning professional
- diplomatic skills, a cheerful disposition and philosophical attitude – rides can be varied
- the ability to smile for the camera – even when bitterly disappointed
- at least 5 wins under Rules
- the ability to do 9 stone for lady riders, 10 stone for lads
B: If you are unable to commit to a whole Fegentri season and/or weigh more than above, you might like to be considered for the Fegentri World Cup of Nations and wear the Union Jack colours. Weight can be up to 10 stone 7 lbs. Trips include:
- Pisa, Italy
- Maisons Laffitte, Paris, France
- Royal Windsor, England
- Berlin, Germany
- Penn National, Laurel Park & Great Meadows, USA
The AJA will cover travel expenses and host countries will pay for accommodation abroad.
C: Lady riders who can ride at 9 stone and have ridden at least 2 winners can apply to take part in the HH Shaikha Fatima Bint Mubarak Ladies World Championship Series for Arabian Horses. For 2013 races will take place in:
- Berlin, Germany
- Newbury, England
- Toulouse, France
- Duindigt, Netherlands
- Taby, Stockholm, Sweden and
- Abu Dhabi where the finale will be held and all jockeys from the series may be invited to attend for 6 days (yet to be confirmed). In addition all jockeys MUST be available if invited to attend an exhibition in Abu Dhabi in September for 5 days. You must therefore have agreement from your boss for possible substantial time away from work. All expenses will be paid.
D: Other international invitation races (ie China, Russia) might arise at any time.
All members will be mailed an application form: appformfegentri2013.doc
NOTICE OF ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF
THE AMATEUR JOCKEYS ASSOCIATION OF GREAT BRITAIN LIMITED
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the 2012 Annual General meeting of the AJA will be held on Monday 10th December at 12:00 noon at The Queens Arms Hotel, East Garston, Nr Hungerford, Berkshire RG17 7ET when the following ordinary business will be considered:
- to receive apologies for absence
- to consider and if thought fit to approve and confirm the Minutes of the previous AGM and to authorise the President to sign them
- to receive and consider the report of the directors
- to receive and consider the report of the Chief Executive
- to receive and consider and if thought fit to pass a resolution adopting the accounts for twelve months ending 31 December 2011. The accounts are now completed and copies will be available at the AGM. Alternatively, on receipt of a stamped addressed envelope, copies will be sent to members on written request
- to consider and if thought fit to pass a resolution electing directors. The following director retires at the AGM in accordance with Regulations 26.1 and 26.2 and offers himself for re-election: Bob Davies (nominated by Nick Gaselee and seconded by Richard Dunwoody). Should any other person wish to stand for election as a director he or she is referred to the provisions of regulation 27
- to re-appoint Dr L A Cotterill as auditors and to authorise the directors to fix their remuneration